Take a hike! …or don’t 

After spending most of Saturday at Mary’s while the puppies played with Luke, I couldn’t resist another day outside. 

The weekend weather was sunny and in the 70s, so after rehearsal, I grabbed the pups and headed to the mountains. (Did I mention I’m in a play? I’m in a play.)

I chose Stayion Cove falls because it’s a short, popular trail. I’ve seen plenty of dogs here — Luke came with me once! — so I knew it was canine-friendly. 

We got out of the car and the puppies immediately hated their leashes. Awesome. We then met Seren, a 2-month-old St. Bernard mix. Lincoln was interested for a second and Coral hid the entire time. 

This hike was off to a great start. 

Want a cute picture of both of us? Fat chance.

I let them down to sniff around for a bit, but they were not interested in any forward progress. They only wanted to head back to the car. 

So I carried them. 

…are we supposed to walk this ourselves?!

I would put them down periodically and try my luck, but leashes are of the devil, apparently. My best approach was carrying Coral with Lincoln a few steps behind. He’s my fearless pup, so I knew I could count on him. 

After a dozen stops to explore, sniff and play, we made it to the falls. It was pretty chilly in the valley. Despite daylight saving time, the sun was already past the mountaintops where we were, so we didn’t stay long. 

Sit still? Huh?

The return trip was a little better since they were ready to be back in the car from the get-go. I put them down and walked away and they followed for about 20 feet at a time. 

Then I’d pick them up again and repeat. I think Coral might have fallen asleep in my arms at one point. My goal was to get them to walk the last 35 or so feet of the trail. Lincoln was by my side and Coral was off attacking a pine cone when she heard a noise and took off running. 

“If we stop walking, I bet she’ll come back to pick us up again.”

She ran straight to the family behind us and immediately began jumping up on the mom’s leg to see if somebody would pick her up. 

They did.

Within a few minutes of being back in their kennel, both pups were passed out cold…and I did all the work!

If they weren’t so cute…


Puppies got vaccinations at animal control on Wednesday! Coral was 3.8 lbs (hovering at 4) and Lincoln 3.6. We’re transitioning from canned stuff to kibble since they have no problem eating Claws’ food. 

The animal control officer told me I’ll have them another three weeks, so we have plenty of adventures left :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s